Night has fallen over the capital for several hours now. Most streets are deserted due to the curfew that has been imposed.
A silhouette emerges from the shadows, wearing a black cloak and hood, blending into the darkness. She exits the building she was in and crosses the street, staying close to the trees to remain concealed as long as possible.
She moves cautiously to avoid drawing attention and stops in front of the building at the center of the large square. Despite the dim lighting, the temple is easily recognizable by the seven statues surrounding it and the other frescoes and sculptures adorning it. She adjusts her hood to obscure her face, pushes open the temple door, enters, glances around, and spots a man with his back turned, sitting on one of the benches.
She sits next to him, and he turns toward her.
- Is it not risky to be here? he asks, looking anxious.
- There's no one else here but us, if that's what concerns you.
- What's the casualty count at the border? he asks, staring at her intently.
- About 800 dead and around a hundred wounded. But that's not why I came to see you.
- Then I'm listening.
- Have you ever heard of the Exitium, I suppose?
- You're talking about the legend? Of course.
- But... what if it's not just a legend? My parents spent their entire lives searching for it, and...
- Just like many others. But no one has ever found it. There isn't even concrete proof of its existence.
-But according to the legend, whoever possesses it will have the power and might of the Gods.
- I know it. But where are you going with this?
- I know the Order wants to find it, and I believe I can find it before they do.
- Many have lost their lives in that quest. What makes you think you'll succeed?
- Believe me, I will succeed. I'm certain of it.
- If you're so sure of yourself, why do you need me?
- Once I have it, I want it to cross the border.
- To use it against them?
- No. To destroy it. A weapon capable of obliterating an entire planet should not even exist.
- That's still a suicide mission. Why not destroy it before crossing the border?
- The Exitium is unstable, says the figure, lowering her head. I want to avoid any unnecessary casualties.
- Wars are not won without some sacrifices.
- I didn't ask for your opinion, I believe. I'm just informing you of my plan.
- How will you locate the weapon?
- I can't inform you about that, unfortunately. I'll call you for the transfer. With those words, she stands up, putting an end to the conversation herself.
- Wait, the man asks, grabbing her sleeve. What's your name? The silhouette turns around, hand on the temple door.
- You'll know in due time.
- May... May the Gods have mercy on your soul, he says, removing his hat, pale. May they watch over you on your quest.
- At the risk of disappointing you, I believe they can't do anything for me anymore, the silhouette replies, politely bowing to him. Their reign is eternal... but eternity only lasts for a while. The Order will fall, like all the empires that came before it. This rebellion will be the people's. They can no longer ignore us.
Thank you for your feedback! Don't hesitate to share your critiques or advice!