things i know about roxanne: (12/20/20)
″roxanne, roxanne, / all she wanna do is party all night /
roxanne, roxanne, / never gonna love me but it’s alright.” -arizona zervas’ roxanne.
1) she can tie cherry stems into knots with her tongue. i see her do it at parties every other night.
2) she’s an L.A. girl, or something like that. made for some place where i know the sun shines.
3) last sunday, she tied a bandana around her neck. told me she’s a Malibu baby born and bred. she’s used to the heat, you know? the sun’s just another star.
4) she sneaks out her bedroom window half past 1 a.m. to catch a taxi to the firework festival at the river walk. and i wanted to ask if i could go with her, but
5) she’s never looked my way twice. unless i begged for it. see, the
6) first time i met her was a party that no one remembers but me. and she put a shot glass full of kool-aid in my hands and somehow dragged me to the beat.
7) and she had me drive her strawberry-red convertible with the top down, standing while pushing speed limits. my mom says she won’t make it past twenty three, but i
8) saw her at the outlet last friday with that same old clique, some stolen first kisses in her fingers. word on the street is that she keeps a jaguar well-fed in her closet. but i only
9) ever see her jogging around the block sweating her socks off in ridiculous sweatpants, and her poodle held in her arms.
10) what i know is that roxanne pops firecrackers like pills. she sits in the back of the class, and she doodles rainbows and stars and hearts in the margins.
11) what i know is that i was in a gas station, a nickel short of that chewing gum. and she saw me, pressed her lips to a buck, handed me her dollar.
12) and i kept it, brought it to the beach field trip. she wore a navy blue lace bralette and some jean shorts, laughed and posted on the ’gram when she caught me staring. she knows how to have a good time, and i think it’s all she knows how to do.
13) and i keep wondering what i’ll have to do to get her to look at me twice.